About National Sneak Some Zucchini Into Your Neighbor’s Porch Day
Today is "Sneak A Zucchini On Your Neighbor's Porch Day" - A day that can be celebrated because of the gift of sharing something that's delicious and can be made into just about anything.
This holiday gives produce growers a way to get rid of their extra fruits and vegetables. If you grew too much zucchini this summer, surprise your neighbor with the gift of produce!
Zucchini is a summer squash that is a part of the Cucurbitaceae plant family, otherwise known as gourds.
While many people refer to it as a vegetable, zucchini is a fruit. Other names for a zucchini include courgette and baby marrow. They range in color from dark emerald green to a yellowish shade.
If you happen to come home from work today and find that someone left some unsolicited zucchini on your front porch, take it as a compliment. People who grow zucchini love it and want to share the gift with their friends, neighbors, and family members.
HOW TO CELEBRATE
- Share your zucchini by bringing it to work, setting a few zucchini with a note on your neighbor's porch, or turning it into a tasty treat before you give it away.
- Share your zucchini along with a few recipe cards of your favorite zucchini dishes.
- Make bread, hot dishes, or appetizers and share them with your friends.
- If you are the recipient, make something new.
- If you receive a zucchini and really don't like it, share it with someone at work. I promise you'll find someone who would love to turn it into zucchini noodles.
Zucchini is a very versatile fruit that a person can eat both raw and cooked. Here are some examples of how to prepare and eat zucchini.
- Thinly slice or grate raw zucchini and add it to salads.
- Chopped, sliced, or diced zucchini is a good option to add to stir fry dishes.
- Spiralize zucchini into a spaghetti or linguine shape as a low-carbohydrate alternative to pasta.
- Add boiled or roasted zucchini to soups.
- Thinly sliced and grilled zucchini makes a good side dish, particularly when combined with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Zucchini is also one of the main ingredients in the popular dish ratatouille. This involves combining the zucchini with other vegetables, such as tomato, garlic, onion, and a selection of leafy green herbs, such as basil.
- Breadcrumb the zucchini and fry it in oil to make a crispy side dish.
- Baked zucchini is a tasty side dish that works well with a variety of other dishes.
National Smile Power Day
National Handshake Day
National Cheer Up The Lonely Day
Toss Away the Could Haves and Should Haves Day
Other Observances on August 8th 2023
International Cat Day 🐈
National Dollar Day
National Frozen Custard Day