About National Date Nut Bread Day
Date nut bread is a soft and richly flavored sweet bread with a texture similar to banana bread.
It contains chopped dates, walnuts and shredded coconut, and is flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. The bread can be made with butter, but it is also commonly made with vegetable oil or canola oil, which keeps the bread softer and lets the other flavors come through.
Date Nut Bread is popular during the holidays. It is usually served with a meal and it is a perfect bread to serve alongside a turkey dinner.
-1 cup chopped dates
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-pinch of salt
-1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
-2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
-1 large egg, beaten
-1/2 cup (120 ml) whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine dates, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; mix well.
3. In another bowl, beat oil, honey and egg until smooth.
4. Add wet ingredients to date mixture; mix well.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.