About World Snake Day
This day of recognition was established to help people learn more about these fascinating but misrepresented reptiles and to highlight the vital role they play in the balance of nature.
- Did you know? In the USA, rattlesnakes are responsible for three out of every four snake bites.
- Did you know? Five species of snakes can fly.
- Did you know? Snakes had back legs for 70 million years before losing them.
- Did you know? While snakes do not have external ears or eardrums, their skin, muscles, and bones carry sound vibrations to their inner ears.
- Did you know? The venom from a Brazilian pit viper is used in a drug to treat high blood pressure.