About National Trail Mix Day
Trail mix is a snack mix that typically contains a combination of dried fruit, nuts, and sometimes chocolate or candy. The mixture is usually high in protein and fat, making it a popular snack for hikers, backpackers, and campers. Trail mix is also commonly consumed as a snack for those who are looking for a quick and easy energy boost.
The ingredients of trail mix can vary widely and many variations exist depending on personal preference, but the most common ingredients are:
- Nuts: such as almonds, peanuts, walnuts, and cashews.
- Seeds: such as pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
- Dried fruit: such as raisins, cranberries, and diced apricots, pineapple, apple or banana
- Chocolate or candy: such as M&M's, chocolate chips, or yogurt-covered raisins.
- Some mixes may also include cereal, granola, or pretzels.
- Trail mix is a very versatile snack, it can be made at home or purchased pre-made. Some people prefer to make their own trail mix to control the ingredients and the quantity of sugar or salt in the mix. It's a great snack for on the go, for a hike, for the office or just for a healthy and satisfying snack in between meals.