About National Sausage Pizza Day
Though the origin of Sausage Pizza Day is unknown, we are glad someone did take the time to start a day to celebrate one of the tastiest toppings that can grace a pizza.
Check out the fun facts below to learn more about sausage pizza and America's eating and purchasing habits for some fun trivia to bring up at your next pizza night with friends or family.
- Americans consume approximately 350 slices of pizza every single second.
- There are more than 70,000 pizzerias across the United States. That would equate to 1,400 per state if they were distributed equally.
- The first pizzeria ever in existence is believed to be Port'Alba and it was built in 1830.
- On any given day, approximately 15% of Americans will consume pizza.
- Every year, Americans buy more than 3 billion individual pizza pies.
- Approximately 17% of all restaurants in the United States are pizzerias.
- While National Sausage Pizza Day is October 11th, the entire month of October is dedicated to National Pizza Month.
- 83% of Americans eat pizza at least once a month.
- Those between the ages of 6 years old and 19 years old are the most likely to eat pizza on any given day.
- The state of Connecticut has the highest number of pizzerias per capita.
- The average American consumes approximately 46 slices of pizza annually.
- Italian sausage without the casing is considered the best type of sausage to use when making a sausage pie.
- You should always precook your sausage when making a sausage pizza.