About National Julienne Fries Day
Here are five things to know about Fries:
- Leaving the potato skin on French fries actually leaves in important vitamins that are lost if the skins are peeled away.
- In the United Kingdom, they are called “chips”.
- French fries are, perhaps, poorly-named, since they originate in Belgium and are most popular in America.
- Though French fries were invented in Europe, the potatoes, from which they are made, originated in the Americas and were imported.
- The first occurrence of French fries in America may have been at a diplomatic dinner hosted by Thomas Jefferson.