About National Honey Bee Day
National Honey Bee Day is an awareness day started by beekeepers in the United States to build community awareness of the bee industry, through education and promotion.
- Did you know? Of the 20,000 species of bee, only seven produce honey.
- Did you know? City bumblebees work harder than countryside bumblebees.
- Did you know? Hungry bumblebees bite plants' leaves to make them flower 30 days sooner than they otherwise would.
- Did you know? Caffeinated bees are more energetic but not more productive.
- Did you know? Bees can see a colour imperceptible to humans and known as “bee’s purple”. It is a combination of yellow and UV light.
- Did you know? Honey pretty much never spoils if it is in a sealed container. Archaeologists have found 3000-year-old honey in an ancient Egyptian tomb which was still recognisably honey.