About World Homeless Day
October 10th is marked as World Homeless Day. This day was first recognized as a national holiday back in 2010.
Since its founding, World Homeless Day has been observed on every continent except Antarctica, in several dozen countries.
Habitat for Humanity estimate 150 million people are homeless worldwide, and 1.6 billion people worldwide live in "inadequate shelter".
The purpose of World Homeless Day is to draw attention to people who experience homelessness needs locally and provide opportunities for the community to get involved in responding to homelessness while taking advantage of the stage an ‘international day’ provides.
How To Make a Difference
- educate people about homeless issues
- celebrate and support local good works
- highlight local issues in the media
- donate to local service providers
- volunteer and provide hands on help
- thank volunteers with certificates and awards
- invite a guest speaker
- host a fundraiser
- Tweet #WorldHomelessDay