About National Pet Parents Day
Pet Parent Day is a unique holiday in the US that celebrates pet parents’ bond with their furry companions. If you always felt like you needed that one day when you could relax at home with your pet, enjoying a lazy Sunday, this holiday will be perfect for you. It occurs every last Sunday of April each year and can be celebrated in many wonderful ways.
National Pet Parents Day is a time to pause and reflect on the similarity of pet ownership to the experience of raising a kid, from the good to the bad.
And there are a lot of pet parents - According to the latest research and data of 2023-2024, 86.9 Million US Households Owns a Pet, Which Accounts for 66%.
It all began in 2007 when Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) founded this holiday. Being a part of Nationwide Insurance, this company was inspired by so many of their policyholders’ counting pets as family members.
How To Celebrate National Pet Parents Day
As a responsible pet parent, you may celebrate your pet every day, we hope you do. However, if you need some inspiration on how to give your pet some extra special attention on this day, here are a few suggestions:
- Pamper your pets: The best way to show your love and appreciation is to spend this day pampering and grooming your pet. Give them a fresh haircut if needed, or simply bathe them with your favorite pet products. If you are a dog parent, clip their nails, clean their ears, and give them a brush or a massage. If you are a cat owner, brush its fur, trim its nails, and clean its teeth.
- Enjoy a lazy Sunday: Since this holiday falls on one day that is perfect for relaxing—Sunday—take this time to slow down and rewind. Enjoy giving yourself time for a break. This will be a perfect energy boost for the start of a new week.
- Spend the entire day cuddling: Another way to celebrate Pet Parents Day is to enjoy the whole day while cuddling with your pet! If you have cats, consider anything more than a 10-minute cuddle a win.
- But some new toys: Your pets should be able to enjoy amazing new toys at least on this one day. Annually refreshing the toy selection of your pets is an amazing idea.
- Take photos: Take plenty of pictures to commemorate this fantastic day. Create a photo album dedicated to you and your pet that you can annually update and fill up with new memories.
- Take your pet for an annual check-up: National Pet Parent Day is a fantastic reminder to take your pet for a yearly check-up at the vet, if necessary.
- Become a pet parent: Lastly, a truly wonderful way to celebrate Pet Parent Day for the very first time is to become one. There is no better time to adopt a pet than on a holiday celebrating this relationship.