About National Oceans Month
On World Oceans Day, people around our blue planet celebrate and honor our ocean, which connects us all. Get together with your family, friends, community, and millions of others around our blue planet to start creating a better future.
Did you know?
- Around 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by oceans.
- The name “Pacific Ocean” comes form the Latin name Tepre Pacificum, “peaceful sea”..
- The longest mountain range in the world is found under water. Stretching over 56,000km, the Mid-Oceanic Ridge is a mountain chain that runs along the centre of the ocean basins.
- About 70% of the oxygen we breathe is produced by the oceans.
- Did you know? The sea is home to the world’s largest living structure – the Great Barrier Reef
- Did you know? If all the clouds rained down at once, it would only raise the level of the oceans by 2.5 cm (1 inch).
Find out more
- Did you know? The largest ocean on Earth is the Pacific Ocean, covering around 30% of the Earth’s surface.