About National Coloring Book Day
Coloring is a fun activity for both kids and adults to get silly, use their imagination, and relax.
There are so many reasons to color from making something pretty to using up that creative energy. It’s also a great activity to focus on or to do while multitasking.
In recent years, a pastime that was once viewed as a children’s activity has become a hobby for a number of adults.
Adult coloring books have been in demand since about 2011. One illustrator says that between 2011 and 2020, she sold over 21 million adult coloring books worldwide.
It's no wonder the popular hobby now has a day set aside in its honor.
Experts have a lot to say about the benefits of picking up a coloring book and starting a little art project.
For example, WebMD says coloring as an adult can:
- Relax the brain and improve brain function
- Act as a therapeutic means to put the mind in a meditative state
- Improve motor skills
- For those who color before bed, it may improve sleep
- It can increase your level of focus
- Studies show that coloring reduces anxiety and stress
So, if the notion of coloring as an adult sounds appealing to you, National Coloring Book Day may be the perfect time to give it a try.Find out more