About America Recycles Day
On America Recycles Day (November 15th), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognizes the importance and impact of recycling, which has contributed to American prosperity and the protection of the environment.
In America, the recycling rate has increased from less than 7% in 1960 to the current rate of over 35%. An EPA study found that every 10,000 tons of materials recycled supports nearly 16 jobs and $760,000 in wages.
Benefits of Recycling
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water and minerals
- Increases economic security by tapping a domestic source of materials
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Supports American manufacturing and conserves valuable resources
- Helps create new well-paying jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United States