About America Recycles Day
This is a day when 'trash talk' is encouraged!
The White House proclaimed Nov. 15th as National Recycling Day; recycling is easy to do, and doing so can change the world for a sustainable future.
On America Recycles Day (November 15th), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognizes the importance and impact of recycling, which has contributed to American prosperity and the protection of the environment.
In America, the recycling rate has increased from less than 7% in 1960 to the current rate of over 35%. An EPA study found that every 10,000 tons of materials recycled supports nearly 16 jobs and $760,000 in wages.
Recycling is a major business nationwide, as waste management and remediation services earn over $100 billion annually. Additionally, the country’s 28,000 environmental engineers help minimize waste and pollution.
Benefits of Recycling
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water and minerals
- Increases economic security by tapping a domestic source of materials
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Supports American manufacturing and conserves valuable resources
- Helps create new well-paying jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United States