About Cycle to Work Day
What is Cycle to Work Day?
It’s the UK’s biggest cycle commuting event of the year. It’s all about encouraging the great British workforce to ditch the car and instead try cycling to their place of work.
It’s an event for everyone, from people who haven’t hopped on a bike since their school days to committed cycle commuters.
What’s matters is jumping on a bike, giving it a go and joining a community of cyclists sharing all that’s good about cycling to work.
It began in 2013.
When is Cycle to Work Day?
Cycle to Work Day usually occurs in early August when it’s reasonable to expect the weather to be at least halfway decent.
What are the benefits of cycling to work?
- Time saving: Cycling to work is 50% quicker than driving in rush hour.
- Environmental: 133,442 tonnes of CO2 is saved each year by people cycling to work.
- Health: Cycling to work for just three days a week burns 1,000 calories. The average person loses 14lbs in their first year of cycling to work.
- Financial: The cost of cycling to work for a full year sits at around £396. Meanwhile, taking the bus costs £625 per year, skyrocketing to £3,727 to drive - that’s a hike of more than 800%.
- Mental wellbeing: Research has shown that cycling to work reduces stress and anxiety, combats depression, increases self-esteem and even boosts productivity.
All of these figures were sourced from CycleScheme.co.uk & the Office for National Statistics.Find out more
National Hug a Bear Day
We don't want to tell you how to live your life, but we would advise against any hugging of real bears.
A traditional date to make the Christmas Pudding on the Sunday before the start of Advent.
National Sickie Day
Find out the dates, history and traditions of National Sickie Day.
Other Observances on August 3rd 2023
International IPA Day 🍺
Find out the dates, history and traditions of International IPA Day.
National Grab Some Nuts Day
Grabbing a handful of nuts is a tasty treat and a healthy one!
National Watermelon Day 🍉
Find out the dates, history and traditions of National Watermelon Day