About Sauvignon Blanc Day
Today we raise a glass for International Sauvignon Blanc Day! Pour yourself a glass and kick off the weekend.
A popular and unmistakable white wine that’s loved for its “green” herbal flavors and racy acidity. Sauvignon Blanc grows nearly everywhere and thus, offers a variety of styles ranging from lean to bountiful.
Fun Facts About Sauvignon Blanc
- Sauvignon Blanc likely derived its moniker from the french word “Sauvage,” meaning wild, as the vines are reminiscent of wild grapevines.
- Surprisingly, Sauvignon Blanc is a parent (progenitor) of Cabernet Sauvignon (the other is Cabernet Franc)!
- The “green” aromatics in Sauvignon Blanc come from compounds called Methoxypyrazines. Cabernet Sauvignon also has these same flavors.
- Until the 1980s, most of the “Sauvignon Blanc” in Chile turned out to be rarer Sauvignon Vert (aka Sauvignonasse), mistakenly brought over from Bordeaux.
- A real tasting note for Sauvignon is “cat pee!” Caused by a unique chemical compound, “4MMP,” there aren’t many other scents like it!